On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 05:00:41 UTC, robert engels wrote:

> I found a more recent academic paper that proves my conclusions:
>

> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326369017_From_Manual_Memory_Management_to_Garbage_Collection

It's a student paper.

The bit that caught my eye was results of simulation using real Java
programs:

*it’s been proven that the runtime performance of the best-performing
garbage collector is competitive with explicit memory management when given
enough memory. In particular, when garbage collection has five times as much
memory as required, its runtime performance matches or slightly exceeds
that of explicit memory management.*

*However, garbage collection’s performance degrades substantially when it
must use smaller heaps. With three times as much memory, it runs 17% slower
on average, and with twice as much memory, it runs 70% slower.*