Your paper proves your conclusions given your assumptions :) When there is
no GC runtime in a language, you are open to managing memory however you
see fit, and there are lots of models which are more efficient than
reference counted smart pointers or whatever. I've worked on many realtime
systems in my life, and in those, we take a completely different strategy -
preallocate everything, since you can't fragment memory and can't call out
to sbrk() since either of those could knock you off the predictable path.
When you have object pools of some kind, allocation and deallocation is
stupendously fast, you modify a pointer in an array. Not allocating is a
lot faster than the fastest allocator. Yes, I'm being kinda facetious here,
but these papers assume that you have a programming model with a generic
memory management system. Given that assumption, I can see how a GC
language could be faster, but how appropriate is it when the memory
footprint is fixed (such as on a game console) or when predictable
performance is very important (realtime systems).

-- Marcin