On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM <kloste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding pointers: For me, point number 2 (and 3) is the key that forces us
> having some way of expressing emptiness in a pointer.

I'd say that nil pointers are not really special. It's just a sentinel
value. And we definitely need some sentinel value to mark the end of a
linked list, for example. If a language gets rid of nil/null
sentinels, it has to chose some other sentinel value for marking the
.next field as not being actually a next item in the list. So it does
not really solve much, if anything at all. And it enables completely
new bugs to exists in exchange for avoiding the nil/null pointer
dereference exception. Additionally it loses the nice and cheap HW
support for detecting of using the sentinel value on most CPUs.