I really am not trying to be a pain about this "real world" thing -- think
about trauma nurses and MASH surgeons.  I have 2 friends that are trauma
nurses who fly on rescue helicopters to car and motorcycle crashes (or
occasionally a military location).  They do not do things the same was as
regular hospital nurses, and never will.  That is not a people management
problem.  One of them is literally a "seasoned vet" of the National Guard.

In my current project (which runs 24x7, like most things in my multi-decade
experience, and for which I am "on call"), I have not found a single
problem using programmed tests.  Sure I need to add some, but all of the
real problems have been found by running "battlefield stress" tests --
launching it 10,000 times rapidly to find, for instance, that the cloud
vendor will sometimes unceremoniously kill the process at a random point in
the program and restart it.

The Agile Manifesto is all about cycling on working code.  My belief is
that every cycle does not need test processes.  Add them over time, when
the dust occasionally settles.