On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 6:12 AM 'Axel Wagner' via golang-nuts
<golang-nuts@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM targe...@gmail.com <target....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Because you then must remember about this specific case every time you cast
>> potentially nil pointer variable to interface. Every time you must write `if
>> x != nil { return x; } else { return nil; }` instead of just `return x;`
>

> This is true, but that alone is not indicative of a problem. You have to
> remember that `select` does a pseudo-random selection of cases everytime you
> use it, that you can't write to nil-maps, that dereferencing a nil-pointer
> might panic, that an index-expression might panic, that integer-addition
> might overflow, that floating-point math has counter-intuitive edge-cases,
> that init-functions run before main… you have to remember a *lot* of things
> every time you need them.
>
> I don't want to sound dismissive (as I said, I do think there is obviously
> *some* problem) but I don't run into cases where I would even be *tempted* to
> do this. Like, in your example, you'd need to a) have a declared pointer, b)
> would need to be oblivious to the fact on whether or not it's nil and c) it
> would have to be an invalid value if so and d) it would have to be a problem
> not caught by other means (e.g. returning a non-nil error alongside it). And
> when I am tempted to do this, I just know that the interface value will still
> be non-nil. And even when I don't, the most trivial of testing catches the
> problem.
>
> Like, I'm not saying it *never* happens or even that it never happens *to
> me*. But it seems very rarely cause significant problems and I don't
> understand why people put it so high up their list of being confusing or hard
> to remember.

I saw this happen mostly after refactoring code to replace structs
with interfaces. Functions start returning interfaces instead of
concrete types, and there is no obvious indication in the code that
might alert the potential problem. Even though this problem is usually
discussed in the context of returning errors, this happened to me
multiple times with types other than errors, and always after
refactoring. I agree that it rarely causes problems, but when it does,
it is hard to find because there is usually a nil-check and no obvious
reason to doubt that would fail.

A go vet addition that detects and warns against this might be more
useful than a language facility. I remember discussing this before and
the concern was false-positives, so a warning instead of an error
would be useful.