> On 23 Feb 2021, at 12.40, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t understand why ping does not have the same problem. Ping is not based
> on C library?

Looking at the source code, the ping command on macOS use gethostbyname2()
[1][2], while the Go on macOS use C library through getaddrinfo [3][4].

According to this comment [5] on bugs.python.org, the getaddrinfo call mdns
library, which means it may prioritise to broadcast through network first (due
to local TLD rule) before consulting the /etc/hosts file.

That is my guess. Maybe someone who know macOS (or BSD in general) can confirm
this behaviour.

--

[1]
https://opensource.apple.com/source/network_cmds/network_cmds-606.40.2/ping.tproj/ping.c.auto.html