>> I missed the conversation originally. however go install has been left in a
>> unfortunate state where it bewilderingly errors out when the main module
>> contains a replace directive.
>
> This sounds like a bug. I would file an issue with an easy reproduction case.

Erroring on replace directives is an intentional decision for now:
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/40276#issue-659471259

But might be relaxed in the future:

> Parts of this proposal are more strict than is technically necessary (for
> example, requiring one module, forbidding replace directives). We could relax
> these restrictions without breaking compatibility in the future if it seems
> expedient. It would be much harder to add restrictions later.

If you think this is a valid case for requiring non-directory replace
directives to be applied, then I suggest raising an issue with some
details.