On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 4:23 PM Steven Penny <srp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You asked a question. People here are genuinely trying to help you by
> > giving you their acquired knowledge of (collectively) over more than a
> > couple of decades of Go programming.
>
> OK, so all all these decades of experience, why cant anyone produce a small
> program to demonstrate the problem? Either they cant be bothered, or they dont
> actually know how to create a program that would demonstrate a bad situation
> that could arise from not closing gzip reader.
>
> I am not questioning anyones knowledge, I am just asking for a demonstration,
> rather than "do it because we said so".

It's not clear to me what kind of demonstration you are looking for.
Your original example showed an interaction between os.Open and
os.Rename on Windows, and you showed closing the underlying file
without closing the gzip.Reader.  I agree that in that sense nothing
bad will happen if you don't close the gzip.Reader.  The only thing
that gzip.Reader.Close does is report whether there some error
occurred while reading the compressed data.

Would you be satisfied with a program that demonstrates that
gzip.Reader.Close can return a non-nil error?

Ian