>  So I think it can be safe to omit
> using gzip Reader Close in the general case.

In the general case it's also safe to ignore all errors, because by
definition they only occur in exceptional conditions .

More practically though, most programmers would probably prefer to follow
guidance provided by the authors of the library they are using because by
virtue of having written the library, the authors probably understand not
only the library's implementation  and  technical constraints better than
the user but  also tend to have a better grasp of the problem domain.

As a rule if I feel that the author of libraries I intend to use are
totally inept morons and can't be trusted to not ask me to arbitrarily call
random unnecessary functions I would shy away from using their library
altogether.