On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 15:45 -0700, 'Jay Conrod' via golang-nuts wrote:
> Hi Sebastien, once a version is in proxy.golang.org, it usually can't
> be removed. This is important to ensure that builds continue working
> when a repository disappears upstream.
>
> You may want to publish a new version with a retract directive in
> go.mod, marking the earlier versions as invalid. In Go 1.16 and
> higher, the go command won't automatically upgrade to a retracted
> version. The version containing the retractions may retract
> itself. Retract Module Versions is an interactive tutorial explaining
> how to use this feature.
>
> Even with retractions in place, you won't be able to reuse the old
> version numbers. They'll be hidden, but still available to any users
> that depend on them.

It looks to me like the retraction mechanism cannot be used here since
the retraction must be in a version number higher than the retracted
version, but here the author wants to not have a version v1. If
retraction were also based on time (maybe only for specific cases where
retracting by a v0 retraction).

Dan