> that would mean the progress made did not invalidate any of effective Go
(which seems not possible given the addition of generics)

Adding new features makes Effective Go *incomplete* but not *invalid*.
There is separate documentation available for Generics and other new
features. Go documentation can only be invalidated if breaking changes are
introduced to the language. But the Go 1 compatibility promise
<https://go.dev/doc/go1compat> prevents this from happening except for very
rare cases like, for example, security fixes that cannot be implemented
without breaking existing code.