On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 6:05 PM Red Daly <redd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the links. Note that while 56283 was declined citing lack of
> emoji support
> <https://github.com/golang/go/issues/56283#issuecomment-1283194040>, a
> comment in issue 49085
> <https://github.com/golang/go/issues/49085#issuecomment-948108705> has 35
> thumbs up and no thumbs down for essentially the same proposal.

I don't think the two are the same proposal. They have overlap, but they
differ significantly. For example, the comment you link suggests that they
should still be *methods* and thus inherently namespaced differently, while
UFCS is about making *functions* callable using method syntax.
Both come with their own unique set of disadvantages and IMO UFCS has a
significantly worse tradeoff.

That being said, we don't know how to implement parameterized methods
either, so the point seems moot.