On Tue Jun 27, 2023 at 16:54 CET, Christoph Berger wrote:
> > Personally, I see this as an opportunity to switch to a more
> > FOSS-friendly alternative: kbin, lemmy, you name it, as long as it
> > rhymes with fediverse.
>
> There is forum.golangbridge.org and maybe more, but the problem is, how
> to take 200k+ Gophers with you?
>
> /r/golang is the largest Go community I know of, and its size makes it
> as vibrant as it is. Relocating this community as a whole is virtually
> impossible. You'd risk ending up with multiple, small, low-traffic
> communities. Join one, and you'll miss out. Join them all, and you'll
> see questions and information duplicated everywhere.

Mamoths like these seem immortal and invicible until they are toppled.
(my little stone thrown at that Goliath is that nowadays I only consume
reddit via its RSS feed and rarely visit it.)

and with the ActivityPub protocol underlying the fediverse,
"fragmenting" the community isn't an issue per-se (as long as each
island abides to said protocol and allows "cross-posting")

-s