On Sun, Aug 20, 2023 at 1:52 AM TheDiveO <harald.albre...@gmx.net> wrote:

> well, our "(major) engineering orgs" leave the choice of IDE to our devs.
> Devs have different styles, so as long as they meed the demand, who cares.

I second that. IDE is a personal choice. For years, I've been using Emacs
to edit code, and that's what I still feel most comfortable with for most
development tasks. When I need to debug something, I use VSCode, but I find
editing code using VSCode very disturbing.

That said, based on the experience I have mentoring other developers using
IDEs, I agree with the viewpoint that IDEs promote productivity, but with
superficial knowledge. If you do not take the time to learn how certain
things work, the code you write may not be correct. Many questions on Stack
Overflow are simply answered by pointers to API docs, but people don't read
them because of code completion and code suggestion features of the IDEs.