On 1/17/07, Daniel Cutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was just wondering, reading all your talk about your solutions to the
fonality golf, I would assume that everyone converted in arabic,
calculated and then converted back to roman. When I first had a look at
the problem I thought that that would be the obvious way to do it. At
the time I thought it would be shorter though to calculate in roman and
just drop the conversion. My first solution was with all the conversion.
I say that Ton had allready posted a 100 so I thought he must have gone
the other way. So I tried. My best solution (247) did just that. Based
on the Wikipedia article I tried to add and subtract the roman numerals
directly. Did anybody else do that?

I had a solution that had bits that incremented and decremented a
roman numeral. That way I could add to or subtract from the first
number while decrementing the second until the second was zero. And so
on.

I think I got to around 220/230 with this method. I don't have it on
me, either, and I think it was a blind alley I went up at one stage,
so I probably won't have submitted it..

But the method to add or subtract directly in RN just seemed far too
complicated to me.

Jasper

p.s.
for($f=12;$f-->0;){