Klaus -

I had the same problem, but there is a way to fix it.  Take a look at
the link suggested by Rajeev:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/browse_thread/thread/175e70cc0c93ded9

About 75% of the way deep into the thread you'll start to find some
solutions.  For me, there were two things that I had to do (these are
detailed in that thread):

1. Copy tools.jar into the AppEngine lib/shared directory.
2. Modify appcfg.cmd so it fully-qualifies the reference to java.exe
in the JDK/bin directory.

I switched from Eclipse to IntelliJ IDEA a month or two ago, and
upgraded to the newest App Engine SDK.  However #1 was still required
on my machine.

Don't give up hope, you're almost there!

- Jim