On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Toby <tobias.ro...@sunnymail.mobi> wrote:
> I know that they are updated at least once a day. In my case the data
> volume has not changed for quite some time. And the discrepancy is
> really huge. I mean 50MB to 500MB. So maybe my datastore contains
> stuff that does not apear in the statistics. Or the statistics are
> wrong. I wonder if other people find the same ratio.  Is there any
> other way to get details on the data consumption of the datastore. Do
> e.g. log-files count into it or other data?

The difference is likely coming from the indexes, both implicit
indexes that Google builds systematically, and indexes that you have
requested explicitly.

When asked about the lack of visibility into indexes disk usage,
during the IRC office hours, the Google people said they were working
on improving that, and the admin console will likely give you more
details about where that extra space is going. It will be very useful,
as you can mark properties to be non-indexable, and thus save space.

They also talked about an article they will publish soon that gives
enough details on how indexes are built that you can at least predict
the size of your indexes.