You might want to look into Sitebricks which is a Google developed web app
framework built on top of Guice.  It is a simple request response processor
with no fancy "component" abstractions like Wicket or Tapestry.  This model
fits in very well with GWT (or other  client frameworks) which request data
via RPC or small snippets of rendered html to assemble on the client.

It is still very much in active development so you have to be prepared to
dig into the code and figure out the plumbing yourself.  The author, Dhanji,
has built a fantastic API here - simple, powerful and clever.

http://code.google.com/p/google-sitebricks/

John