It sounds like you might have static file
caching<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/gettingstarted/staticfiles.html>set
up to include files you want to run your filter against. The key line
in
the doc is:

Any request for a URL whose path matches a static file serves the file
> directly to the browser—even if the path also matches a servlet or filter
> mapping.

If you want to filter certain files, they need to be excluded from caching.