OK. I have implemented this in my program and have it mostly working* I
have tried to separate the parts that are relevant into a separate project
and remove the branding that I don't want to give away yet. So sorry if it
doesn't work well for you but you should get the general idea of the code
required. I've also never used git before so it's not a great project yet!

https://github.com/mjaggard/AppEngine-OpenID

Let me know what you think and also if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks,
Mat.

* the only part that doesn't work well on my main application is where I
tell the user at the bottom of the page if they're logged in or not. I do
this using a browser Cookie because I don't want to make requests that need
a JVM on my main public pages.