Just wanted to follow up on this:

Idle instances set to 1:  7 of 10 requests were loading requests (20-30 seconds)
Idle instances set to 2:  3 of 9 requests were loading requests (and
cost was about 4 times as much)

This is a test app, with no other traffic, no new versions uploaded,
etc., and these requests were about once a day for the last few weeks.
 I'm giving up on finding a setting that will mimic always on for low
traffic apps, and just setting up a cron job to ping the apps
regularly.