If you are using Front-End instances, they can only last 60 seconds, you
would need to create a module using Backend Instances for your heavier
traffic as they can run up to 10 minutes per request and generally if you
are having heavier tasks it is better to put them onto a backend instance
and split them away from the main front-end traffic so that users will not
feel the pinch at all.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/08ed1c46-fe0b-45a0-ae7f-086566a36536%40googlegroups.com.