Yes.

That looks to be the simplest / obvious solution, take the off the shelf
Java / Python AppEngine SDK and create a RESTish wrapper around the search
features. Deploying in AppEngine I'd then need to look at service to
service auth to restrict access so my index is not publicly available.

The primary reason for investigating AppEngine is cheap computing on the
the micro instances + search vs AWS EC2 with ElasticSearch. I would prefer
not have an instance specifically as a search sidecar to keep the cost down.

I'll try and investigate the ProtoBuf api reverse engineered by the PHP
project. It would be useful if Google opened up the spec if providing
custom runtimes so 3rd parties can implement the libraries, it'd also make
AppEngine a no brainer as a PaaS with custom runtime support.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/2aa5307d-e23f-4880-a7b5-533859adf6e4%40googlegroups.com.