Hello Niall, this error usually means that your App Engine service account
does not have WRITE permissions to your default Google Cloud Storage bucket.

You should ensure that your bucket ACLs
<https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/access-control/create-manage-lists#set-an-acl>

are properly setup in a way that will let the service accounts (or a role
the service account belongs to) access the bucket. You should also make
sure to grant your service account
<https://cloud.google.com/iam/docs/granting-roles-to-service-accounts> the
roles it will need to access your bucket, for instance "roles/
storage.admin" or at the very least in this case "roles/
storage.objectCreator", though there is no harm in simply giving your App
Engine service account the Editor role.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/19f7b9a8-3c9e-4dfb-9a59-4823545f73ea%40googlegroups.com.