> So I assume on my starter package that I can only assign one static IP. Am
> I right?

dont know that. Not sure what starter package refering to.

> Is there a way for me to use the same static address for two instances or
> what would people suggest.

No. A IP would refer to a single instance. If there was a way, how would
know what instance to use when try to cotnact the IP?

Maybe use some sort of 'dynamic dns' system, for the VMS to register their
current IP with some sort of registry. So other instances can contact them.

... or just use the one that Google provides.
https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/internal-dns

(ie use hostnames, NOT IP addresses directly. )

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAJCAUu%2BwoUg6sb_PHmea_i%2BiHQRn57DPOSSA6nhPbqQzyce%2BAA%40mail.gmail.com.