DeWitt, thanks for informing us but I see a few potential problems.

1. we've been passing `--version` in our gcloud app deploy command for the
last 6 months to name the new release. Isn't this going to conflict with
users like us who want to name the newest version?

2. I tested the solution and it just deploys to the previous version. It
doesn't actually shut down the previous version and create a new one. In my
opinion, one of the biggest features of app engine is rolling back to a
previous version. It looks like this deployment method eliminates that
feature.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/a6de923a-d6d7-41f2-9789-f4360fcadf7d%40googlegroups.com.