Jordan, please understand that from an user's point of view this response
looks like a cop-out:

- for months there have been complaints of Java 8 being slow (just search
the forums and the issue tracker)
- Google dragged its feet in making Java 8 available for GAE standard and
only made it available *after* Java 7 got EOLd

It would be nice for Google to provide the latest version of the
*supported* languages on AppEngine Standard (like PHP 7, Python 3, Java 9)
instead of forcing us to use older, unsupported, insecure and slower
versions of them!

Attila

PS. And no App Engine Flex is not the solution since it doesn't have
feature parity with standard (even if we ignore the cost issue) and
personally I find the monthly posts of "AppEngine now supports X" (like
Elixir) annoying - because I always recall that I have to use an EOLd
version of languages.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/da9d966f-2143-493e-aca4-288b51bbf0e9%40googlegroups.com.