You can opt-out of the automatic system updates and restarts by placing
your single instance in debugging mode
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/java/debugging-an-instance>.
Just note that if you choose to take it out of debugging mode that the
instance will be turned down and a new instance will take its place at that
time.

For clarity, the recommended solution of increasing instances comes
directly from the documented strategies
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/java/how-instances-are-managed#instance_uptime>to

prevent application downtime due to instance restarts (and will aid in
avoiding the 'failed_to_pick_backend' issue as it provides more instances
for the load balancer to route to).

The 'failed_to_pick_backend' issue is high priority and has already turned
up partial fixes that have already been deployed. Since there are many
causes for this issue and it isn't caused by any single point of failure,
the engineering team are performing a deep dive to root out any and all
fixes. In the meantime it is recommended to follow the best practices to
ensure your application has instances up and running while our monitoring
systems and health checks are configured to better handle dropped instance
(which cause the load balancer 'failed_to_pick_backend' errors).

- Note I will also copy this reply to the issue report
<https://issuetracker.google.com/71840041> for completeness, as all further
communications should continue there.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/c00a6001-a12f-4eec-882e-4853c021c6e6%40googlegroups.com.