I hear that restriction for the very first time and it actually sounds
really strange to me.

The problem here is that such publishing will probably break the build
systems configuration for many people (including me), cause I have one
version for all AppEngine-related dependencies set in the gradle
properties.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/f61da9d2-b16b-4911-b1f8-13b1ce82b237%40googlegroups.com.