You bring up a good point... Why does this list exist?  It existed prior to
the fantastic take off of the stack exchange platform and so we should
consider the modern purpose of this list.  Thank you for pointing out this
mis-match of purposes.

I will start a separate thread to discuss the purpose of this list and ways
to better curate its content, ways to steer people to the best resources,
and how we can publicize that.  This was very useful feedback upon
consideration.