By immediate history processing, I mean the changes in r3234 that include
synchronous calls to onHistoryChanged (in addition to the timer-based
processing).
Removing the synchronous calls for empty tokens works around the Safari bug.

I filed issue 2905 to track this bug.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Thomas Broyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 21 sep, 23:46, "Sam Gross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed weird behavior with Safari 3 and empty history
> > tokens?  Setting the innerHTML during the invocation of the history
> listener
> > for empty tokens does not seem to have any effect.
>
> Seems a bit weirder actually: using the "previous" button, go back to
> #x then forward (back to the enmpty token) and it'll show "History
> OK".

Yes - those invocations of the history listeners are due to the history
timer - not synchronous calls in HistoryImpl#newItem.

> And it's working OK in Chrome (0.2.149.30).
>
> > I think the problem has to do with the immediate history processing.
>
> Probably. Though, the "immediate processing" isn't precisely
> documented, so i'd say you shouldn't rely on it ;-)

I'm not relying on immediate processing.  This bug is triggered by immediate
history processing.

> > I put a repro case at:http://web.mit.edu/sgross/www/history/Hello.html

-Sam