Wow, that's about the freakiest thing I've seen in a while. The fact that
the following code fails is really disturbing:

  private static boolean isBorked() {

    Element e = DOM.createDiv();

    e.setInnerHTML("spoo");

    return e.getInnerHTML().length() == 0;

  }

I also tried taking the History.newItem() calls out of onModuleLoad() and
performing them in response to a button click (just in case it was in a
weird state during module init), but it still does the same thing.

This might be related to issue 2909 as well. I'm working on figuring out
what's going on here, so if anyone has any ideas please speak up!
(can you tell that I really want these History issues to go away once and
for all?)

Cheers,
joel.