On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Cameron Braid <came...@braid.com.au> wrote:

> JBoss use a naming scheme that sorts alphabetically, maybe it is worth
> considering
>
> http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads/
>
> Applied to the names in the original email
>
> 1) gwt-2.0.0-m1.zip
> 2) gwt-2.0.0-m2.zip
> 3) gwt-2.0.0-rc1.zip
> 4) gwt-2.0.0.zip
>
> They could be :
>
> 1) gwt-2.0.0-Beta1.zip (or could just use B1)
> 2) gwt-2.0.0-Beta2.zip
> 3) gwt-2.0.0-CR1.zip  (candidate for release)
> 4) gwt-2.0.0-GA.zip

That still doesn't get you out of knowing the naming scheme in your sorter
-- Beta10 would be ordered before Beta2 if you don't do something special.

However, I think the only case where it will actually need to be sorted is
in code, and we can encode the proper behavior there, so I don't this is an
important consideration and we should just go with what is the clearest.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google