2009/10/1 Maxime Lévesque <maxime.leves...@gmail.com>

> Has there ever been discussions about supporting scala ?

There have been some water cooler discussions about it, but it seemed like
there were too many tasks left to do to make Java-based GWT everything we
want it to be to undertake such a project.

People have used Scala on the server with App Engine, if that is of
interest.

>  I assume that significant part of your java->javascript translater
> could be resused, and the fact that scala lives in the JVM would
> certainly help.

That would help for Development Mode (previously called Hosted Mode), but
doesn't really matter for compiling.

>  What kind of effort would it take ?

We already build our own Java AST from the JDT AST, so the primary things
would be:

   - wire up a Scala compiler
   - maybe have to do something for Java interop since we wouldn't
   necessarily have class files for dependencies at the time of compilation
   - generate AST nodes from the Scala compiler
   - update code generation passes to account for new AST nodes or new uses
   of existing ones
   - probably minor modifications to Development Mode to know how to
   generate bytecode on demand for Scala

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google