On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Daniel Bell <daniel.r.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question for you about Overlay Types and the JSIO library.
> I'm working on a GWT interface to the Google Maps JavaScript API, and
> am wondering about the difference in performance between the two
> approaches.
> With JSIO I've been using wrapper objects that each contain an
> instance of a JavaScriptObject being wrapped, and contain a reference
> to a singleton instance of the flyweight wrapper. My guess is that the
> performance would be better if I used Overlay Types instead, but I am
> just guessing. Do you know (roughly) what the difference in
> performance is between the two approaches?

First question - why aren't you using the official GWT APIs for Maps instead
of writing your own?  http://code.google.com/p/gwt-google-apis/  If there is
something you need that isn't included, why not contribute to that rather
than create your own from scratch?

Overlay types are a bit more efficient and don't require a generator running
which makes DevMode faster, but I don't think there is a lot of difference.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google