Thanks for the feedback. The reason I'm not using the official Maps API is
that I need to use version 3 of the JavaScript API, which isn't supported by
the GWT Google APIs project yet. The more developed of the GWT Maps
Libraries (http://code.google.com/p/gwt-google-maps-v3/) uses JSIO for
everything, rather than overlay types, so I'm concerned about performance in
the case that lots (hundreds or so) of objects are being rendered on the
map. At the moment it's looking like I'll contribute some changes there.
Thanks again,
Daniel