On 2012/06/08 18:02:44, skybrian wrote:
Moving org.json into gwt-dev makes sense because the compiler actually
uses it.
I'd like to see it repackaged, but perhaps we can wait until someone
complains?

I'm not sure about validation. Many people don't use it and I sorta
think GWT's
validation support ought to be split out of gwt-user into a separate
jar. If
there's no actual bug than I'm inclined to leave it alone for now.

validation is needed by RF (Receiver#onConstraintViolations) and Editors
(EditorDriver#setConstraintViolations); not to mention RF on the server
side validating the domain objects (ReflectiveServiceLayer), but there's
gwt-servlet-deps.jar for that, that bundles json and validation.

But I wasn't around when these decisions were made, so I could use
some
historical context.

Looking at the commit logs, I found
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5950
The reviews discuss the bundling vs. no bundling options; it looks like
the no-bundling option was chosen as being more "Maven friendly" (which
is a false problem, as we're not publishing the same JARs as the ones
from the SDK), and not forcing everyone to use the version of
javax.validation that we bundle.
Given that there's a single javax.validation version to date, and I
expect we'll switch to a more modular build (using Maven) soon; before
1.1 comes out (see http://beanvalidation.org/ )

https://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1731804/diff/1/dev/build.xml
File dev/build.xml (right):

https://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1731804/diff/1/dev/build.xml#newcode116
dev/build.xml:116: <fileset dir="${gwt.tools.redist}">