I think that's a good point; someone went through the trouble of creating
these definition files so it would be nice to be able to use them, even
without using TypeScript at all. (On the other hand, how many of those
libraries would you say are relevant for GWT? I don't see us using
backbone.)

For Google, we would want a way to generate Java interfaces from JsDoc type
declarations because that's what we use. Also, there may be legal issues
using parts of TypeScript without the whole thing so someone would have to
investigate that.