Hey,

So, I was toying with changing "git.version" over to being based on
"git describe" output, instead of having to pass in GWT_VERSION.

The default behavior of "git describe" is to fail if no tags are found,
which it does on master, and this is fine because then we want the
"0.0.0" version for releases made from master anyway.

So, I was messing with getting Ant to handle this conditional, when I
realized if we tag the very first svn commit from 2006 with a dummy
"0.0.0" tag:

    git tag 0.0.0 ab0aa686820319e1

Then on the master branch, "git describe --tags" shows:

    0.0.0-7062-g8a0cf14

Which is remarkably close to what we want. A "0.0.0" prefix with "extra
info as a dash". Here it's "number of commits since the found tag" and
then "sha of the current commit".

(Of course, if "git describe" was run on a commit that exactly matched
a tag, e.g. 2.5.1, then the output is just "2.5.1".)

Granted, we also (soon) have gwt.gitrev, which is just the sha, but I'm
thinking if we add this admittedly one off 0.0.0 tag, we should be able
to use "git describe" as is/with no conditionals for gwt.version.

Thoughts? Too weird?

- Stephen

(Note I've been using lightweight tags for messing around, but we could
use annotated tags...wasn't sure what we'd been using so far.)