On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Stephen Haberman
<step...@exigencecorp.com>wrote:

> Also FWIW, I am not a fan of master's "git describe" looking like
> "2.5.1-250-...". That seems misleading, because if we put the 2.5.1-rc0
> tag directly on master's commit B:
>
> A - B [2.5.1-rc0] - C - D (master)
>
> And the 2.5.1 branch continues off B:
>
> A - B [2.5.1-rc0] - E - F [2.5.1]
>
> Then describe will name commit C as "2.5.1-rc1-1-C", when really in my
> mind "2.5.1-rc1 + 1 commit" is commit E. On the 2.5.1 branch. There
> would basically be two "2.5.1-rc1 + 1 commit" commits, which, yes,
> there is still the sha, but that seems confusing IMO.

This is my instinct too: I'd like to be able to look at a version string
and have some intuition about whether it came from a release branch or from
master.

But that's not a deal breaker for me.  If the Git experts working on Gerrit
have decided to go with 'ambiguous' descriptions, I'm willing to try out
their method; maybe it's not so bad in practice.