So... If I read this correctly... Google has discovered that GWT is not
good enough (is bad) to continue using it. It is creating a J2CL that
produces readable code so that it can completely abandon its original Java
source and continue without it. The already slow involvement will turn into
no involvement at all. In fact, there may be no incentive at all to release
that J2CL ever - as soon as it becomes good enough for Google to have a bit
manual work left on the generated code it won't need it any more. If we
exclude Google, who does not plan any future with GWT, steering committee
is composed of representatives from Vaadin, RedCurrent, RedHat, Bizo and
JetBrains. I truly may be mistaken but, other than perhaps Vaadin, I don't
see any company (that I am familar with) that does anything of large scale
with GWT. and may not have too much interest in particular GWT future
either.

Google's Closure is effectively saying "Closure is "better" than GWT".
Other technologies that are already available may also be better for
focused needs - some of which I mentioned in my posts above. Coupled with
the steering committee composition, it paints a very bleak picture of GWT 3
future, if any, ever.

I will say that the appeal of GWT wasn't writing Java in the browser. That
was only a part of it (and most of the complexity). It is about being able
to share a lot of code between the client and the server with all the magic
in between handled. No other existing solution handles that, including the
GWT 3 with any RPC replacement addons. Why? Because it requires writing a
ton of boilerplate code and annotations to turn one set of objects into
another and back and does not allow reusability.

Making GWT better is possible. I am truly sorry that people haven't
realized how and decided to, instead, focus on efforts to migrate away from
it. That is what GWT 3 seems to be - a migration away tool (to Closure).
This late in the game and without organized efforts it will be very hard to
organize "the community" to do something about this, even if willing to
pay. And it is not a good investment for any one company to pay for
development of own framework here, so that won't happen either - it would
be more work than to move away likely.

I am truly and utterly disappointed.