I think your assumption regarding refreshing the workspace may be mistaken.
Unless you have installed a plugin that provides automatic synchronization
of resources between the workspace and the server, you will have to take
responsibility for keeping the server up to date yourself. You may be
thinking of JVM HotSwap which applies to Java classes but not other
resources.