We will try Wireshark. BTW, the inherent linux sniffer, tcpdump, is
pretty advanced and we used its filtering feature to pin point this
packet reduction. However, the disruption seems to occur somewhere
lower level in the server OS, or more likely before the server machine
altogether - some network equipment or client side code / browser.

Thanks again for your help.

Amit