I am integrating GWT into an existing servlet-based application. The
application's web.xml contains a set of error-page tags specifying a
JSP to use for various error codes and exceptions.

For certain kinds of errors, this error-page jsp is sent  to the GWT
client in response to GWT ajax calls; GWT forwards the resulting HTML
to the onFailure() method, within the exception message.  I would like
to change the JSP to provide a more GWT-friendly response for GWT
requests only, or change my onFailure() method to display the HTML in
an alert popup. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to do this?
Removing error-page is not an option.

Thanks!