Try this article as a starting point in understanding IE memory leaks.
Internet Explorer is far worse than other browsers in memory
managment.

If your application uses "pure" GWT you will be somewhat protected
from leaks, but perhaps you have some native methods that employ
function closures (by far the easiest way to incur major leaks).