I'm trying to prevent GWT from generating .symbolMap files, since these are
too large to upload to AppEngine and I'm using my own linker to generate an
alternative. The same issue was brought up 4 years ago:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-web-toolkit/Py-D0oV68fg.

Adding <set-property name="compiler.useSymbolMaps" value="false"/> doesn't
seem to do anything, even though it looks like it should
<https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/blob/c9c32256f6ffb8ca69f50693a06b91bc25331fef/dev/core/src/com/google/gwt/core/linker/SymbolMapsLinker.java#L259>.

Using the suggestion from the old thread about making my linker remove the
symbolMap artifacts doesn't work, maybe because my linker is running before
the symbol map one. Defining a custom linker over the top of the symbol map
one doesn't work, since it looks like that linker is now also used to
generate source maps for dev mode, which I need.

Is there another option or a way to get set-property working? Right now my
only option if a script that removes these outside of the GWT compiler.