I will repeat myself : I would look into Athmosphere.
This is a wrapper around websockets so you don't have to do the bear bones
stuff yourself. And they talk about GWT on their Github page
: https://github.com/Atmosphere/atmosphere-extensions/wiki/Atmosphere-GWT

I used SignalR which is also a wrapper around Websockets, and falls
automatic back to other stuff if it fails. No GWT support though so I wrote
my own wrapper in about a day. Another problem for you probably is that
SignalR needs an IIS server.

Whatever you do : don't use timers !