It would seem my original post has uncovered all sorts of aches and
pains with the new GWT structure.  Personally I use maven with the GWT-
maven plugin from Google code and only had to change the version
number of GWT 1.6.4 and it worked.  I don't actually fully understand
what was changed but I do know my program worked even after a full
clean/build (including manually wiping my local maven repo).

Perhaps it is not Google's place to write a Maven plugin, but rather
if one of people on the GWT team could take the time to write up a few
documents discussing working with GWT in envionments xyz (just an
idea).  I know it's painful to write documentation sometimes but it
really really helps drive a project/product.  I would write this up
myself but I don't really GWT well enough at this time to write this
kind of document myself.

Has anybody here given up on using a technology because the build
system wasn't playing nice with it? Honestly I'd like to hear.  As an
example if Java EE's build system was easier to deal with we would all
be writing enterprise systems in 5-10 lines of code ;-)...

RIGHT???