I had the following requirement: "Multilingual mapping should be
available to the user", meaning that if the original language where
labels written is english then a French user could map the english
labels in the application and translate the language to english.
The way I did it is this:
A DB serverside table holding the map
"original label", "language id", "translated label"
(the above is simplified, there is join table in the middle)
On client startup, the first thing it does is to load a hashmap with
the translations, it can do it because it tells to the server the
current language and the server responds with a simple hashmap holding
"english label","translated label"
Then, of course, every string in the client application is mapped to
the multilang using a method in the mapper class.
It works, it is fast, and it solves my requirement.