I too could use some general advice on how to debug event-related
problems, including DOM events.

You might find some of the responses in this other thread useful - the
question I posed there is different, but closely related. Essentially,
though, the message I took away was to avoid manipulating the DOM
directly with anything involving events. One of the responses points
to a page that describes some of the event/DOM/browser issues of
relevance.
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/8e2b6a5d754a8604/216714fdfb8e8e12